Yes, YOU Really CAN Do Your Own Research

 

Hello Farmgirl Sisters!

 My family and I are docents at a nearby large museum. A few years ago, the museum hosted an exhibit about the Magna Carta. One of the extra activities with any special exhibit there is the inclusion of lectures by people who are supposed to be experts about some aspect of the exhibit. A local professional genealogist was invited to give a presentation about tracing ancestors back to Europe to medieval times. I had never met the presenter personally, but I was familiar with some of her work. I really thought she would have an excellent lecture planned and bought tickets to hear it.

 I could not have been more wrong. Within the first few minutes of her lecture, she was telling the audience no way should they ever attempt their own research. They simply didn’t have the skills or knowledge of the so-called “pros” to take on such a massive task. I was shocked at what she was saying. Her inaccuracies didn’t stop there. She went on to state so many things about research that I knew for a fact to be completely wrong. After it was all over, I wanted so badly to go to the event organizers and tell them what I thought. I even wanted to offer to present another lecture correcting the false and faulty narrative by the pro genealogist. By this time in my own research, I had been very successful in documenting many facts about my ancestors.  Common sense prevailed, however and I kept my mouth shut. It wasn’t my place to slam their invited guest. But I knew I would always encourage others and help them if necessary, to get their own research started.

 That’s really what this blog is all about. I am a genealogist. I have done extensive research into my own family and documented truly fascinating things that go far back into history. I don’t know the exact number of people I’ve helped with their family trees, but it’s probably close to five or six dozen. I have done that in a volunteer capacity only. I’ve never been paid for any research or assistance, so I guess I’m not a “professional”. That’s been my choice, as I’ve never had time to turn this into a job. Plus, someone who pays for the work may have unrealistic expectations about the results and the time it can take to get them. Being a volunteer is what works best for me. Plus, I just love doing the research.

 How many of you have ever been curious about your family tree? Do you think the research process is too hard and confusing? It may seem that way when thinking about it, but I guarantee that anyone can successfully do their own research and document their own family facts. That word “document” is one that I will use over and over again. There’s really no wrong way to research, but there are “right” ways to collect and preserve the data needed to make the family tree as complete as possible. Documentation is an absolute must have.

 I am going to leave you with a photograph showing a list of names. Those names are all recognized by a national lineage group as patriots of the Revolutionary War. That’s MY list of ancestral patriots. I am a member of that lineage group and I’ve built a paper trail from me to each name on that list. I show you this to illustrate you never know what you will learn with your research. Who are your ancestors and what awesome facts about their lives are waiting to be discovered by you?

 My next post will be titled “It’s Time to Get Started. You Can Do This”

 Until then, Love, Live and Laugh Each Day to the Fullest!

 Stacy, Farmgirl Sister #7112



Comments

Popular Posts